Evidence-based decision making on micronutrients and chronic disease: long-term randomised controlled trials are not enough
Comment: Of course, everyone would agree that all persons should be encouraged to eat a good diet, but we are far from achieving this goal, especially among the poor. In most cases, a simple way to improve micronutrient status is to take an MVM. However, even if one eats an ideal diet and takes an MVM, some vitamins can remain below recommended concentrations in some subgroups. For example, the efficiency of absorption of vitamin B-12 decreases with age, and supplements containing more than the Recommended Dietary Allowance are needed to correct the deficiency. The ability of the skin to use ultraviolet light to synthesise vitamin D3 also decreases with age and is inefficient in dark-skinned people. Because dietary sources of vitamin D3 are not plentiful, supplements are recommended for those groups.
Ames BN, McCann JC, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. Evidence-based decision making on micronutrients and chronic disease: long-term randomized controlled trials are not enough. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Aug;86(2):522-3 View Letter
- Low micronutrient intake may accelerate the degenerative diseases of aging through allocation of scarce micronutrients by triage
- Is there convincing biological or behavioural evidence linking vitamin D deficiency to brain dysfunction?
- High-dose vitamin therapy stimulates variant enzymes with decreased coenzyme binding affinity (increased Km): relevance to genetic disease and polymorphisms
- Is docosahexaenoic acid, an n–3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, required for development of normal brain function? An overview of evidence from cognitive and behavioural tests in humans and animals
1st May 2015
This evening presentation will explore the latest research and clinical applications for phytonutrients related to gene expression, disease treatment/prevention, and personalized nutrition. It will provide a foundation for clinicians to detect and diagnose phytonutrient deficiencies in their patients and offer ways to maximise daily phytonutrient intake.Click for further information
- A new study finds that when young people binge ...
Historic Artefacts, Secret Messages and Code Breakers, Undercover Organisms & Organelles and Diplomatic Relationships; Inside the World of Mucosal Immunology, Health and Disease.Historic Artefacts As complex organisms survivi...
A Meta-Analysis of the Utility of C-Reactive Protein, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, Faecal Calprotectin, and Faecal Lactoferrin to Exclude Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Adults With IBS.A paper in the American Journal of Gastroentero...
- A study in Nature suggests that common food add...
Survival and Digestibility of Orally-Administered Immunoglobulin Preparations Containing Igg Through the Gastrointestinal Tract in HumansOral immunoglobulin (Ig) preparations are prime...
Updates on your email
Don't miss out on our email updates