Evidence-based decision making on micronutrients and chronic disease: long-term randomised controlled trials are not enough
Comment: Of course, everyone would agree that all persons should be encouraged to eat a good diet, but we are far from achieving this goal, especially among the poor. In most cases, a simple way to improve micronutrient status is to take an MVM. However, even if one eats an ideal diet and takes an MVM, some vitamins can remain below recommended concentrations in some subgroups. For example, the efficiency of absorption of vitamin B-12 decreases with age, and supplements containing more than the Recommended Dietary Allowance are needed to correct the deficiency. The ability of the skin to use ultraviolet light to synthesise vitamin D3 also decreases with age and is inefficient in dark-skinned people. Because dietary sources of vitamin D3 are not plentiful, supplements are recommended for those groups.
Ames BN, McCann JC, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. Evidence-based decision making on micronutrients and chronic disease: long-term randomized controlled trials are not enough. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Aug;86(2):522-3 View Letter
- Low micronutrient intake may accelerate the degenerative diseases of aging through allocation of scarce micronutrients by triage
- Is there convincing biological or behavioural evidence linking vitamin D deficiency to brain dysfunction?
- High-dose vitamin therapy stimulates variant enzymes with decreased coenzyme binding affinity (increased Km): relevance to genetic disease and polymorphisms
- Is docosahexaenoic acid, an n–3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, required for development of normal brain function? An overview of evidence from cognitive and behavioural tests in humans and animals
30th March - 3rd April 2017
Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice is a well-orchestrated, comprehensive, patient centered educational programme that helps you deepen your clinical understanding and practical application of the Functional Medicine Matrix ModelClick for further information
- This post originally appeared on MarkManson.net...
- Now there will be those tempted to see this as ...
- What you can’t digest may make you stronger—at ...
- The relationship between the gut and the nervou...
- Part of the work undertaken by all practitioner...
Updates on your email
Don't miss out on our email updates