Treatment of Hypovitaminosis D in Infants and Toddlers
The optimal status for Vitamin D is unlikely to be met without the ingestion of Vit D supplements. This is in part because the minimum levels are being revised upwards and the suitable food sources are inadequate in nutrient density and are erratically consumed. In addition the change in sunbathing practices in the northern hemisphere has led to a widely recognised Vit D deficiency pandemic.
Children are especially vulnerable to the adverse consequences of Vit D deficiency during their growing years. Recognising the need for supplemental intervention a group of clinicians and scientists from Divisions of Adolescent Medicine and Endocrinology, Children’s Hospital Boston, and Biotics Research Corporation explored the effectiveness of differing forms of Vit D3 in the restoration of normal levels of Vit D status in children.
The Biotics Research products Bio D Mulsion® and Bio D Mulsion Forte® were used and the peer reviewed results were published by a major organisation (Gordon CM, et al.Treatment of Hypovitaminosis D in Infants and Toddlers. J Clin Endocrin Metab. 2008). Bio-D-Mulsion Forte® was dosed at 2,000 IU daily for 6 weeks and achieved an average increase of 202% in serum 25(OH) vitamin D. (1)
Some Notes on Vitamin D
The high rate of natural production of vitamin D3 cholecalciferol (pronounced koh·luh·kal·sif·uh·rawl) in the skin is the single most important fact every person should know about vitamin D—a fact that has profound implications for the natural human condition.
Technically not a “vitamin,” vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.
Humans make thousands of units of vitamin D within minutes of whole body exposure to sunlight. From what we know of nature, it is unlikely such a system evolved by chance.
Vitamin D’s influence on key biological functions vital to one’s health and well-being mandates that vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health
(1) Gordon CM, Williams AL, Feldman HA, May J, Sinclair L, Vasquez A, Cox JE. Treatment of hypovitaminosis D in infants and toddlers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jul;93(7):2716-21. Epub 2008 Apr 15. View Abstract View Full Paper
- The Role of Vitamin C in the Treatment of the Common Cold
- Do Flu Vaccines Provide Real Protection?
- High Levels of Mercury in Fish – Found in USA Streams
- A Novel Approach to Treating Depression – How Probiotics Can Shift Mood by Modulating Cytokines
- Vit D Optimisation Requires Supplementation Says Harvard
30th March - 3rd April 2017
Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice is a well-orchestrated, comprehensive, patient centered educational programme that helps you deepen your clinical understanding and practical application of the Functional Medicine Matrix ModelClick for further information
- This post originally appeared on MarkManson.net...
- Now there will be those tempted to see this as ...
- What you can’t digest may make you stronger—at ...
- The relationship between the gut and the nervou...
- Part of the work undertaken by all practitioner...
Updates on your email
Don't miss out on our email updates